Mastopexy Surgeries on the Rise
Breast augmentation is still the most often performed cosmetic plastic surgery each year in the United States. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), there were 290,224 breast augmentation surgeries in the year 2013. However, mastopexy surgeries (breast lift surgeries) have grown by 70% since 2000, growing at twice the rate of breast implant surgeries. In fact, ASPS recently stated that 90,000 breast lift surgeries were performed in 2013 by surgeon members of ASPS.
What Does a Breast Lift Entail?
A breast lift is a procedure designed to reposition the breasts by removing excess skin and reshaping the breast tissue. The position of the nipple and areola is raised as well, resulting in a more youthful appearance.
Good Candidates for Breast Lifts
- You are physically healthy and maintain a stable weight
- You do not smoke
- You are bothered by the feeling that your breasts sag or have lost shape and volume
- Your breasts have a flatter, elongated shape or are pendulous OR
- When unsupported, your nipples fall below the breast crease OR
- Your nipples and areolas point downward OR
- You have stretched skin and enlarged areolas OR
- One breast is lower than the other